Turning data into decisions
Whether you need help designing an experiment, making sense of the results of a survey, or uncovering a signal buried deep in the noise, you have come to the right place. Contact us today for a free consultation and estimate.
Even the biggest, most carefully-collected data set is nothing more than a curiosity, until it can be used, to make a good decision, or to teach us something new about the world. Is a new medical treatment really better than the current one? How many extra airplanes should an airline keep on standby to avoid flight cancellations? (And is it cheaper to buy another airplane, or buy hotel rooms for stranded passengers?) Is the winner of the world series really the best baseball team in the country?
Our business is finding the shortest path from the data you collect to the answers you need.
- May-June 2020: I briefly posted a weekly nontechnical analysis of how well each state is doing at managing the novel coronavirus, comparing the number of new cases in consecutive weeks. When CNN started doing the same thing on the air in mid June, there seemed to be no need to continue posting here...
- May 2020: The Association for Institutional Research (AIR) annual forum in New Orleans, LA, 25-29 May 2020, has been cancelled due to the coronavirus. But I am still available to work remotely on consulting projects, and in my spare time have looked at the rate of coronavirus spreading to keep myself from being bored.
- February 2020: Attended the American Statistical Association's Conference on Statistical Practice in Sacramento, CA, 20-22 February 2020. I presented a mathematical modeling case study, "Physically plausible probability distributions for intervals between geyser eruptions," using data collected in Yellowstone Park in 2018.
- November 2019:I was elected to the executive board of the Pacific Northwest Association for Institutional Research and Planning (PNAIRP) , and will be helping plan their November 2020 conference in Spokane, WA.
- September 2019: Attended the Achieving the Dream Data and Analytics Summit in College Park, MD, 11-13 September 2019.
- May 2019: Invited speaker at the AIR Forum in Denver, CO.
- November 2018: My colleagues at the PNAIRP conference in Portland, OR, 14-16 November 2018, honored me with the Best Presentation Award, for my talk on how a college's financial aid office can set a fair textbook allowance.
- October 2018: Launched a new sub-page about my research work in Yellowstone Park, including an article series on measuring heights of geyser eruptions.